[mythtv-users] Chat client for MythTV

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Thu Feb 23 19:13:59 UTC 2006

I think it would be cool to have a chat client plugin for MythTV that
would allow simple functionality.

My wife is just called me, and said that she was using MythTV (FOR THE
FIRST TIME EVER YEAHHHHHH!) to watch the Bachelor.  She recognized
that I have put a lot of hard work into getting this thing working and
thought she could encourage me.  (And it did.)

So I just thought it would be cool if I could use this handy dandy
GMail account to send her a chat popup to say "Hey babe, isn't MythTV
cool?  Don't you regret ever telling me to give up and go back to
TiVo?"

That got me thinking that many users might also like to be able to see
that their kids are watching something that they are not allowed to
watch, or when they are supposed to be doing homework, and be able to
message them, "Turn that off and get back to work."

If it where completely customizable to your desired level of privacy,
I think it would be a great addition.  I personally would like my
status string to indicate what I am watching and such, Like my chat
client does with the current playing song title.

Has this been discussed?  (Maybe even implemented?)  What do you think of it?