[mythtv-users] some ATI modelines and connection methods

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Thu Feb 23 18:50:24 UTC 2006

On Thu Feb 23, 2006 at 10:22:26AM -0500, Raphael Pooser wrote:

> Robin Hill wrote:
> > On Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 09:31:20PM -0500, Raphael Pooser wrote:
> >
> > If, like me, you're using a VGA->SCART cable then the modelines are
> > used.  This'll require the standard X drivers (and not the ATI
> > proprietary drivers) though,
> Ok so you're not using the proprietary drivers, but you are using an ATI
> card?  This is good information for me as I had thought that you can't
> get xv without the proprietary drivers.  Without the proprietary drivers
> and then video overlay option enabled, my processor time went through
> the roof when watching video.  Is there a way around that with open
> source drivers?

Xv certainly works fine with the standard drivers - CPU usage seems
pretty reasonable to me.  I don't think the standard radeon driver has
a VideoOverlay option - AFAIK, it's on by default.  I do get occasional
crashes which I've not been able to chase down yet (either in the radeon
driver or the kernel DRM from the looks of it).

> > in order to force down the minimum dot
> > clock for the card.  Not sure my modelines will help though, as mine are
> > for a widescreen TV output.
> >
> But would you mind doing me a big favor and posting your xorg.conf so I
> can see what mine is doing different?  If you are getting xv-like
> performance _without_ the ATI fglrx driver, this is of interest to me at
> any rate.  I may be doing some really stupid things here bagning my head
> against various walls for no reason.

Sure - I'll attach it to this message.  I think there were some issues
with TV out for the standard Xorg radeon drivers - IIRC, you need either
the 6.9/7.0 drivers, or the Gatos drivers (http://gatos.sourceforge.net/)
to get this working.  The support will also depend on what card you have
- ATI don't make the specs for the latest cards available to open source
developers.

HTH,
        Robin
--