[mythtv-users] Partly OT: Firewire changing Node ID

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 18:35:24 UTC 2006

On 2/23/06, N Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:
> > On 2/22/06, N Dugas <normdugas at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> >
> >>I'm running Myth 0.18.1 on a Gentoo system.  I'm controlling a DCT6412.
> >>  Once running, it's stable.  If I have to reboot the box, I have to
> >>mess around with the firewire (unplug and replug, rmmod all 1394 related
> >>modules, then modprobe raw1394).  Once thing that I notice is that
> >>sometimes, the Node ID changes.  Sometimes, it'll be on Node 0,
> >>sometimes on Node 1.  If test-mpeg2 doesn't want to work with either,
> >>I'll do the dance until test-mpeg2 spits out it's thing.  Has anyone
> >>else seen this and have they found a way to prevent this from occuring?
> >>  Other info:
> >>Distro: Gentoo
> >>Kernel: 2.6.15
> >>libiec61883: 1.0.0
> >>IEEE 1394 hardware: nForce 2 (onboard Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo)
> >>
> >>I think this is the last niggle I have with Myth itself.  Once I've
> >>tackled this, I need to look into X for my Samsung 27" LCD HDTV and
> >>getting it to do 1280x768.
> >

> > iirc the 6412 is the DVR, and I've noticed this about all the 6412's
> > I've connected to. If you can, you really want a 6200 (single tuner),
> > but some cable company's only have 6412's and in that case I don't
> > really know what you can do, maybe some other 6412 user has an answer,
> > but the best option is to get a 6200 from your cable company.
> >

> Yes, the 6412 is the DVR.  Unfortunately, I had to buy it (Shaw doesn't
> rent them out) and when I did, I had just moved 3000 miles and building
> a PVR of my own was not on my list of things to do.  I'll keep things as
> is for now and try not to tinker too much with the box.  As I
> mentionned, once it's up, it's up.  If I have to reboot the PC for any
> reason or I accendentaly turn the 6412 off, all hell breaks loose and I
> have to mess for 15 to 30 minutes to get it going again.

mental note: don't move to a territory Shaw provides cable...

as for your issue, you shouldn't have to unload the firewire modules,
unplugging the cable box from the firewire cable should be enough to
reset it. As for the node change, from what I understand its something
the 6412 determines, so it may not be possible to do anything about.
Your best bet may be to minimize the possibility of the 6412 from
turning off so you don't have this problem under normal conditions.

--
Steve