[mythtv-users] Question about Wiki

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Feb 23 18:02:27 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2006, at 7:48 AM, Tom Lichti wrote:
>
>> I found lots of people who had a similar problem, but none that
>> mentioned permissions, so it seems like something that may be
>> useful for
>> the wiki. It's really more of a troubleshooting thing, but there
>> isn't a
>> 'Troubleshooting' category. Perhaps it could be added? Also, I'm not
>> sure if it was a KnoppMyth/debian specific problem, but it could be
>> useful for someone out there.
>>

> I agree, I'd like to see a "troubleshooting" category, perhaps
> including what information should be included in any post requesting
> help.

I think someone is already working on a kind of bug reporting template.
> Also a basic "checklist", if anyone responding to a post could know
> that the basics had been checked it would reduce needless questioning
> back and forth.
>
> I could even see a blank "troubleshooting results" form to be filled
> out by the poster and stored on the site, so anyone trying to help
> out could simply go to the form and see the information, which could
> be updated as more results are obtained, culminating (hopefully) in
> the solution. If this were somehow searchable it would make finding
> solutions easier than wading through the gossamer archives, and
> perhaps finding very outdated info.
>
> Basically it would be a searchable history of problems, their methods
> of diagnosis and their ultimate solutions. I'd be willing to
> contribute my fumble-fingered time to try and get something like this
> set up, does WiKi software have something that would enable something
> like this ???

Not really, it's not a database.  A general troubleshooting page or
category would work.  We do this where I work but it needs to be managed
properly so it doesn't end up with a deluge of tiny pages for esoteric
problems.  A good combination of a "troubleshooting" tidbits page and
then fuller troubleshooting pages for problems that require more detail
would work and both could be added to a Troubleshooting category.

Kevin