[mythtv-users] MythTV Development Pattern (was: Re: 0.19, XvMC, and Prebuffer pause)

Stuart Larson halcyon at obfus.com
Thu Feb 23 16:37:49 UTC 2006

> James Dastrup wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 10:35 -0500, Steve Malenfant wrote:
>>
>>> I know it seems easier to upgrade than to fix the problem, but some
>>> people have issues with high PCs and 0.19...
>>>
>>> A 1.6Ghz Duron with MX440 was enough for me to play HD on 0.18...  Now
>>> my setup that was working in 0.18 on my P4 2.4 with FX5200 isn't
>>> working without prebuffering anymore.
>>>

>> Yep, 0.19 brought on a whole new set of problems. That's why I'm still
>> running 0.18.1. Especially the new way LiveTV is handled; although a
>> good idea and going in the right direction, it's buggy. So, in addition
>> to avoiding XvMC, I'm avoiding 0.19 as well, for now.
>>

> I know I've got no say in the matter, as I haven't contributed a single
> line of code, but I think it
> would be nice to have a stable and development branch of MythTV. The
> stability/bug fixes go into
> the old branch, the new features go into the devel branch.
>
> Lots of large projects use this structure. I think MythTV has become
> large enough and popular
> enough to need it too.
>
> I think the problem is that it requires additional administrative
> overhead. Patches need to be backported
> on a regular basis, etc.

Isn't release-0-19-fixes branches referred to as "stable?"  From the
svn.mythtv.org/trac page:

If you're looking for anonymous subversion access, use the following
commands to grab the latest code:

svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythtv
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythplugins
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/myththemes

If you'd like to get the stable 0.19 branch, do this instead:

svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-19-fixes/mythtv
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-19-fixes/mythplugins
svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/branches/release-0-19-fixes/myththemes