[mythtv-users] Lirc with streamzap remote on FC4

btsglw btsglw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:09:00 UTC 2006

On 23/02/06, Tom Greer <trgreer at gmail.com> wrote:
> I need help installing and configuring lirc on a new Fedora Core 4 system
> using a Streamzap remote.  The system is an AMD64 box.
>
> I've been following Jorad's wonderful Myth TV on Fedora HOW TO document.
> Thank you,  Jarod!
>
> Everything has worked great until I tried to implement lirc with Streamzap
> drivers.  After I installed lirc using yum as directed, I tried to do a
> modprobe litc_streamzap and go a fatal error saying that driver was unknown.
>
> So I did a "yum remove lirc", followed by a "yum remove lirc-kmdl-$KVER".
>
> Then I downloaded the lirc-0.8.0 tarball from lirc.org.  After extracting, I
> ran setup.sh and selected the Streamzap remote, then ran configure, make and
> make install.
>
> Next I ran "chmod 666 /dev/lir*".
>
> Then I ran "modprobe lirc_streamzap" followed by "modprobe "lirc_dev".  (The
> lirc.org documentation says I need both drivers.)
>
> Next I edited /etc/modprobe.conf and inserted the line "alias char-major-61
> lirc_streamzap" at the end of the file.
>
> Everything seemed good so far.  No error messages.
>
> Next, I ran "/sbin/service lircd start" and received error message "lircd:
> unrecognized service".
>
> Undeterred, I tried "mode2", which told me:
> mode2: error opening /dev/lirc
> mode2: No such device
>
> I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling.  Same results.
>
> "/sbin/modprobe -l | grep lirc" shows:
> /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.1831_FC4/misc/lirc_streamzap.ko
> /lib/modules/2.6.15-1.1831_FC4/misc/lirc_dev.ko
>
> "/sbin/lsmod | grep lirc" tell me:
> lirc_streamzap         49540  0
> lirc_dev               50656  1 lirc_streamzap
>
> "dmesg | grep lirc" gives me:
> lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61
> usbcore: registered new driver lirc_streamzap
> lirc_streamzap $Revision: 1.15 $ registered
>
> "ls -l /dev/lir*" shows:
> crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Feb 22 20:23 /dev/lirc
> srw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Feb 22 06:10 /dev/lircd
> prw-rw-rw-  1 root root     0 Feb 22 06:07 /dev/lircm
>
> I been fighting this for many days.  I've read boatloads of posts about lirc
> and tried everything that seemed related; but nothing has changed the mode2
> error message.   If I could get mode2 to run, I am sure I could fix the
> mssing sbin directory entry and run irw successfully.
>
> Help please!

I don't think the make install automatically sets up the service for
you, or at least, in my case I know it definitely didn't.  I had to
copy one of the startup scripts from a subfolder within lirc  to
/etc/init.d and then chkconfig --add SCRIPTNAME. I *think* the folder
is called contrib and the script I used ended in .redhat

Once that was done "/sbin/service lircd start" worked

Sorry I can't remember the exact folder name as I don't have access to
my myth box from work.

HTH

Ver.