[mythtv-users] 0.19, XvMC, and Prebuffer pause

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu Feb 23 16:00:00 UTC 2006

James Dastrup wrote:

>>> Are you saying that you are using XvMC for HD playback and you have NO
>>> issues? By no issues, I mean truly no issues: Full color OSD, no
>>> prebuffering pauses, smooth OSD with no flickering, no stuttering at all
>>> anytime while watching live TV or recorded TV. Many people have minor
>>> issues but are willing to live with them.
>>>
>>> If this is true for you, I'm sure many would appreciate you sharing your
>>> relevant hardware (CPU, Video, etc) software versions (nvidia driver,
>>> mythTV, kernel, etc) and xorg.conf.
>>>
>> My OSD is greyscale (doesn't bother me), but I have no stuttering or
>> flickering.  I'm running SVN from sometime in January.  I don't use live
>> TV.
>>
>> Hardware:  XP 2500+, nVida 5200FX, PATA drive (SATA causes problems due
>> to chipset issues).
>>

> ...as I was saying, I have yet to find someone using XvMC without any
> problems.

I have full color OSD, no OSD stutter, and no prebuffering pauses unless
I'm watching LiveTV.
The LiveTV pauses aren't bad enough that my wife cares. They're barely
noticeable. It annoys *me*
a bit, but it's really not that bad. I think it might be a hard disk
issue since I'm recording and watching
at the same time and it doesn't happen when I'm not recording, but it
could be something else.

The LiveTV stopping at show boundaries is MUCH more annoying for both of us.

2.93ghz celeron D w/1GB DDR RAM and w/nvidia 5200 AGP and PVR 350 for
recording mpeg-2.

My new 1366x768 32" HD LCD TV arrives tomorrow, so I'm interested in
seeing how the increase
in output screen res + need for deinterlacing affects CPU usage during
playback with and without XvMC.

I may add a resolution column to the xvmc wiki page.

--
Jesse Guardiani
Programmer/Sys Admin
jesse at wingnet.net