[mythtv-users] some ATI modelines and connection methods

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:22:26 UTC 2006

Robin Hill wrote:
> On Wed Feb 22, 2006 at 09:31:20PM -0500, Raphael Pooser wrote:
>

> How exactly are you connecting the VGA to the TV?  If you're using the
> TV out then, AFAIK, the modelines _are_ ignored for this, as the refresh
> rate & output size are set up based on the output mode (NTSC/PAL) you've
> chosen for the TV out.
Ok, there was some confusion on this.  I had thought that the modelines
were ignored for TV and some others told me try and specify my own
anyway (in another thread).  I'm using Svideo, so it looks like my
custom modeline isn't going to be used.  If it helps here is the
modeline I'm trying to start with and modify:
#Modeline "640x480"   12.700   640 656 744 808   480 492 502 528  -hsync
-vsync Interlace
> There should be specific options for setting the
> overscan, etc in the xorg.conf file though.

This is one thing that seems to be true, but adjusting these options in
the xorg.conf has no effect - ATI's fault?  These options are ATI custom
options provided in their own "device" section, (snippet at the bottom
of this post).

> If, like me, you're using a VGA->SCART cable then the modelines are
> used.  This'll require the standard X drivers (and not the ATI
> proprietary drivers) though,
Ok so you're not using the proprietary drivers, but you are using an ATI
card?  This is good information for me as I had thought that you can't
get xv without the proprietary drivers.  Without the proprietary drivers
and then video overlay option enabled, my processor time went through
the roof when watching video.  Is there a way around that with open
source drivers?
> in order to force down the minimum dot
> clock for the card.  Not sure my modelines will help though, as mine are
> for a widescreen TV output.

But would you mind doing me a big favor and posting your xorg.conf so I
can see what mine is doing different?  If you are getting xv-like
performance _without_ the ATI fglrx driver, this is of interest to me at
any rate.  I may be doing some really stupid things here bagning my head
against various walls for no reason.
Thanks,
Raphael

xorg.conf snippet:
Section "Device"
   Identifier                          "ATI Graphics Adapter"
   Driver                              "fglrx"
# ### generic DRI settings ###
# === disable PnP Monitor  ===
   #Option                              "NoDDC"
# === disable/enable XAA/DRI ===
   Option "no_accel"                   "no"
   Option "no_dri"                     "no"
# === misc DRI settings ===
   Option "mtrr"                       "off" # disable DRI mtrr mapper,
driver has its own code for mtrr
# ### FireGL DDX driver module specific settings ###
# === Screen Management ===
   Option "DesktopSetup"               "single"
   Option "ScreenOverlap"              "0"
# === TV-out Management ===
    Option "TVFormat"                   "NTSC-M"
    Option "TVStandard"                 "VIDEO"
    Option "TVHSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVVSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVHStartAdj"                "0"
    Option "TVColorAdj"                 "0"
    Option "GammaCorrectionI"           "0x06419064"
    Option "GammaCorrectionII"          "0x06419064"
# === OpenGL specific profiles/settings ===
   Option "Capabilities"               "0x00000000"
   Option "CapabilitiesEx"             "0x00000000"
# === Video Overlay for the Xv extension ===
   Option "VideoOverlay"               "on"
# === OpenGL Overlay ===
# Note: When OpenGL Overlay is enabled, Video Overlay
#       will be disabled automatically
   Option "OpenGLOverlay"              "off"
# === Center Mode (Laptops only) ===
   Option "CenterMode"                 "off"
# === Pseudo Color Visuals (8-bit visuals) ===
   Option "PseudoColorVisuals"         "off"
# === QBS Management ===
   Option "Stereo"                     "off"
   Option "StereoSyncEnable"           "1"
# === FSAA Management ===
   Option "FSAAEnable"                 "no"
   Option "FSAAScale"                  "1"
   Option "FSAADisableGamma"           "no"
   Option "FSAACustomizeMSPos"         "no"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX0"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY0"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX1"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY1"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX2"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY2"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX3"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY3"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX4"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY4"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosX5"                "0.000000"
   Option "FSAAMSPosY5"                "0.000000"
# === Misc Options ===
   Option "UseFastTLS"                 "0"
   Option "BlockSignalsOnLock"         "on"
   Option "UseInternalAGPGART"         "no"
   Option "ForceGenericCPU"            "no"
   BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=4150
   Screen 0

   Option "DPMS"
EndSection