[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR 500 - sub-par playback quality (xorg.conf, bitrate in MythTV)

Soeren Larsen soeren at whiteswan.dk
Thu Feb 23 12:17:03 UTC 2006

Hi all

I am new to the MythTV community and have put together a box consisting
of these (main) components:

- AMD Sempron 3000+ (Cool'n'Quiet)
- ASUS K8N-E mobo (nForce 3)
- 1 GB RAM
- Hauppage PVR 500
- GeForce FX5200 (128 MB RAM)
- NAD 29" TV (PAL) (connected via S-VIDEO)

My "problem" is that I believe I am experiencing sub-par playback
quality on my system. If I compare watching the show directly from the
TVs builtin tuner with the MythTV box, I would say that the latter is
less smooth to watch.

Let me give an example. These days there is a lot of hockey (OL) shown
on the telly and directly from the builtin tuner everything is smooth
and looks nice when they skate fast from one end to another and the
camera is panning. If I watch the same thing (live) recorded off the
MythTV box I experience two things:

1. Mild motion blur
2. There seems to be less smooth playback, almost as if it is dropping
every other frame or something.

I don't know really how to explain this. It's not like in a FPS game
where the FPS will fluctuate like crazy - it stays consistent and
produces this sub-par playback quality as I call it.

Now - I have tried a lot of different stuff in my xorg.conf but nothing
really seems to help me there.

This brings me to a desperate call for help on what to do to alleviate
this problem? What are e.g. your guys settings for "high quality"
recording? I believe mine is a variable bitrate between 4500 and 6000.
Will increasing these values give me better "performance"?

Regards,
Soeren