[mythtv-users] Transcode from MPEG-2 Hardware Encoder -> MPEG-4

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 23 07:06:16 UTC 2006

On 02/22/2006 03:14 AM, Rickard Borgmäster wrote:

>Myles Eftos wrote:
>

>>>You've compiled with --disable-audio-oss.  I don't think that will work.
>>>

>>I just had the same problem and removing the --disable-audio-oss flag
>>fixes it nicely. You can still use ALSA native for everything else.
>>

>Indeed I've compiled with -oss (Gentoo ebuild) as I've never come across
>anything else that actually needs OSS support in my HTPC. ALSA seems to
>be good enough to stand on it's own legs without OSS backing it up.
>Therefore one would think it's just sane to omit OSS.

One would think that people would realize it just doesn't matter if you
compile it with OSS support.  As a great man once said:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/128478#128478

Or, looking at it from a different perspective, one would think that
people would realize if you use "--disable" options you will disable
some functionality...

>Anyways. I have no traces of OSS whatsoever in my system, so just
>recompiling transcode (or what software are you referring to that should
>be recompiled with OSS support?) and enabling maybe isn't gonna work.

Try compiling *all of MythTV* without the explicit flag to disable OSS
support (the one that says, "Myth configure system, I'm smarter than you
so do it my way instead of the way you think is correct") and I think
you'll be quite surprised...

If only Nigel would have continued the rest of his commit message (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/131123#131123 ) to
explictily say what he was implying:

Allow building with configure --disable-audio-oss [on systems without
OSS, like MacOS]

Then I'd be able to point you to the reason you shouldn't be using that
option...

Mike