[mythtv-users] auto stop record

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 23 06:30:11 UTC 2006

On 02/22/2006 08:52 AM, CyberSource wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>

>>>I have the auto stop record set to 300mb but twice now I have had
>>>people that I have setup screw up their Linux systems because the
>>>recordings went over and filled up the entire hard drive. I was able to
>>>fix after but this is not cool. Can anyone tell me what I might be
>>>missing that the auto stop record function does not work?
>>>
>>Truthfully, you're missing autoexpire.
>>
>  Thanks for the reply. I don't like the sound of either option, I
>wouldn't want someone to loose a good recording they have because it
>timed out

You specify autoexpire on a per-recording basis, so if you have a
recording you want to keep, you can disable autoexpire on it.  Then,
other recordings that you don't care if you lose (i.e. the ones that
re-air in reruns all the time) can be set to autoexpire...

>and the other option just fills up the drive anyway, or at
>least that's how I'm reading your reply.

Yep.  Unless, as Chris said, you make sure your "New Recording Free Disk
Space Threshold" is larger than the maximum possible recording size...
And, with multiple capture cards in a backend, it's possible that
concurrent recordings could still cause the disk to fill up, but using a
very large value for your threshold will minimize the likelihood of
filling the disk space.

Mike