[mythtv-users] Building new MythTV system, hardware help

James Minihane j.minihane at minihane.tzo.com
Thu Feb 23 00:23:00 UTC 2006

I've just been cleared by the General (wife) to build a new MythTV system.
I've got most things nailed down except for the storage array on the backend.
I'll be capturing via firewire or PVR-500s.
MoBo: Supermicro PDSMA
CPU: Pentium D 840
RAM: 1GB
Case: RM4008
Storage (OS, etc): 80GB (x2) SATA RAID-0
Video/Audio storage: Here's where I need help.
I'll have 6 SATA drives in RAID-5. I'd like to use this...
http://www.cooldrives.com/8-channel-8-port-sata-pci-card.html
and then use LVM/Raid on the CPU. But will Linux recognize this?
I'd like not to have to use a 3Ware or MegaRaid.

Thoughts?