[mythtv-users] Recommendations for a good PCI-Express card

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed Feb 22 22:32:51 UTC 2006

Timothy Braje wrote:
> I am looking for a good PCI Express video card for my Myth system.  I
> want it to be quiet, and cheap (if possible).  Any suggestions?  I
> currently have an ASUS EN5750, but I was trying to make some
> modifications to it and I think I just blew it up...  :(

while not the most inexpensive solution, i love my nVidia GeForce 6600GT
... mine's actually an AGP, but PCI-E are much more available (and
typically cheaper) ... there are some that come pre-installed with heat
pipes or silent Zalman GPU coolers ... I chose to install my own and got
a Zalman GPU cooler ... biggest thing to watch out for on the cooler is
the size ... it will probably not work in most slimline cases, since it
requires extra clearance above the video card ... but, i was amazed at
the difference in sound levels between the standard GPU "leafblower" fan
and the Zalman ... it comes with a 4-way splitter for a 4-pin molex that
allows you to choose between two voltage levels (ie: 2x "normal mode"
connectors and 2x "silent mode" connectors) ... i also plugged my case
fan into the extra "silent mode" and the only sound that is left is the
"whoosh" of air past the factory "stamped grill" for the case fan, which
i hope to replace with a better grill to further reduce sound ...

jesse

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0608-0, 02/20/2006
Tested on: 2/22/2006 4:32:51 PM