[mythtv-users] help installing audio card in existing system

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Wed Feb 22 17:41:35 UTC 2006

Looking for a little guidance on what I need to do to install a sound card.

PC didn't originally have a sound card as I was running sound out via a
PVR-350. Myth works fine, however I want to be able to play local
audio,etc so I added a card I had laying around.

Fedora Core 4 on a poweredge 1300. Card is a ENsoniq Soundscape.

My card is detected. However I don't have a clue on how to add/configure
it under linux. FC4 doesn't autodetect it so I'm having to go the manual
install route.

from dmesg:
isapnp: Card 'ENSONIQ SoundscapeVIVO'
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

I'm guessing I need to get the settings added to modprobe.conf, but I
don't know what settings to add or what the values are.

I followed what I thought was the correct setup here:
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php?company=Ensoniq&card=Soundscape.&chip=&module=sscape#Inst

FC4 doesn't detect my sound card, and if I try to do aplay I get:

ALSA lib conf.c:1592:(snd_config_load1) _toplevel_:51:23:No such file or
directory
ALSA lib conf.c:2837:(snd_config_hook_load)
/usr/share/alsa/cards/aliases.conf may be old or corrupted: consider to
remove or fix it
ALSA lib conf.c:2700:(snd_config_hooks_call) function
snd_config_hook_load returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:1969:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Invalid type for PCM default
definition (id: default, value: cards.pcm.default)
aplay: main:542: audio open error: Invalid argument

Anyone have any good pointers or helpful hints?