[mythtv-users] DVB-S problems with Skystar2 and Diseqc on Fedora

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 13:04:29 UTC 2006

On 22/02/06, Daniel Croona, Bravosystem <daniel at croona.com> wrote:
> Greetings all!
>
> I am new to MythTV and this list and I am trying to setup MythTV .19 on
> Fedora Core 4 with DVB-S using Skystar2.
>
> I have verified that the card is working with the dvb-tools using the
> following commands.
>
> #Scan for channels on Sirius
> scandvb -l UNIVERSAL -s 3 /usr/share/dvb-apps/dvb-s/Sirius-5.0E >
> channels.conf.thor
>
> #Scan for channels on Thor
> scandvb -l UNIVERSAL -s 2 /usr/share/dvb-apps/dvb-s/Thor-1.0W >
> channels.conf.thor
>
> I then merged the conf-files to one and copied it to my .szap folder.
>
> And there I executed:
> ./szap -r MusicBox
> mplayer - < /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 (in another terminal window)
>
> And the channel MusicBox was displayed in Mplayer. My conclusion is that
> DVB-S is working.
>
> When I started mythtv-setup and got to step2 though I could not figure out
> what kind of card type to use. The options are:
> - Analog V4L TV-card
> - MJPEG TV-card (Matrox G200, DC10)
> - MPEG-2 TV-card (PVR-x50, PVR-500)
> - DVB DTV-card (v3.x)
> - pcHDTV DTV-card (w/V4L drivers)
> - Firewire Cablebox
> - USB MPEG-4 TV-card
> - Dbox2 TCP/IP cablebox
>
> Since the stream on dvr0 is supposed to be MPEG-2 that was my first guess,
> but no matter what kind of card I choose, when I set Video Unit to:
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
>
> I get this error message for standard input:
> Could not open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0' to investigate it's input
>
> I also tried DVB DTV-card with card number set to 0. But I can not figure
> out what DiSEqC settings to use. Is there anyone that can figure out what
> settings to use here from the arguments sent to szap in the examples above?
>
> Any help what so ever is highly appreciated!

Have you checked the permissions on the /dev/dvb/adapter0 device?  You
should be running mythtv-setup as the mythtv user, which needs write
permission (I believe).  The default permissions (on Fedora at least)
do not work.

I'd have thought your card would be the DVB DTV-Card.  When I
installed my DVB-t card the choice was obvious, but maybe things have
become more complicated since then.