[mythtv-users] How To Add Pages to the Wiki

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 21 20:58:07 UTC 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 1:40 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:

>>> Anything in the wiki can be added two ways:
>>>
>>> 1.  Make a URL in your address bar that corresponds to the page you
>>> want
>>> to see, it will then bring  you to the edit page for the non-
>>> existent page.
>>>
>>> 2.  Make a link on a "sandbox" page like your User page (click your
>>> username) at the top and add a link to the non-existant page/
>>> category.
>>>
>>> Specifically for categories, categorizing a page into a non-existent
>>> category will put the link to the missing category at the bottom of
>>> the
>>> page where it can be clicked and saved.
>>>

>> OK, I figured out how to create a page, and I *think* I saved it
>> properly, but it doesn't show up and your reference to "categorizing"
>> doesn't mean anything to me, I don't see any link at the bottom, and
>> I have looked through help:editing extensively.
>>
>> Does somebody have to look at the entry and approve it before it
>> shows up ???
>>
>> I apologize, I know next to nothing about wiki entries, and no
>> offense intended, but this is about as intuitive as a Microsoft API.
>>
> If you'ree Beww, you keep making the page as a category.  You should
> read the Help on the left about categorization
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Help:Contents)
>
> Pages have URLs like: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?
> title=PCI_Latency
> Categories like:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php?title=Category:PCI_Latency
>
> The Help explains how to categorize a page.  Look at the PCI Latency
> page I made from your mistaken category creation and see how I
> categorized it into the Glossary category.

OK, much thanks for the pointers. I really did look through "help"
but I guess I didn't understand what "categorization" was, and thus
didn't know to look for its help.

I was trying to make the page show up as a link on the "Knowledge
Base" page, so I clicked on one of the pages listed there and erased
its title and put in my own, thinking that it would then show up as a
new page link from there. It *seemed* logical. A link to glossary
should be there too, but if I were looking for the info I'd go to the
"knowledge Base" first, perhaps that's just me.

You apparently just happened to move the page when I was dinking
around, so I of course thought that "I" had made it go away from
where it was, so I put it back, thinking I was undoing my own
screwup, again, logical but wrong.

I want to put a link on each of the Hauppauge pages that are under
"Hardware" to the effect that if you see the "Unreasonably Low
Latency" message from ivtv in your log you should probably read the
latency page to see if it is something you should worry about. I
think I can figure out how to do that.

I guess, like anything, a lot more reading is required to get the
wiki thing figured out, but I really did expect it to be more
intuitive. Once I get it figured out I hope I can help out some, I've
discovered the "pages wanted" section and perhaps I can help out
there some. I do know at least basic English, and, being retired,
have spare time :-)

Again, much thanks for your patience, and sorry about that
"Microsoft" crack :-)