[mythtv-users] How To Add Pages to the Wiki

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 21 20:36:27 UTC 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Brian Wood wrote:
>> Just trying to add a category to the Knowledge base, I click on
>> "Edit" and get a blank page.
>>
>> Trying to edit stuff deeper down seems to work, so I assume I am
>> prevented from changing that page, but it would help a lot if I was
>> informed of this somehow, instead of just being presented with a
>> blank page that seems to be uneditable.
>>
>> So, how do I add a category? For some reason I can't get to gossamer
>> threads right now, so I thought I'd ask.
>>
>> Please don't  take this as any sort of criticism of the Wiki, I know
>> how hard it must be to keep such a thing administered and to prevent
>> vandalism etc., and I thank those involved in keeping it up.
>>
> Anything in the wiki can be added two ways:
>
> 1.  Make a URL in your address bar that corresponds to the page you
> want
> to see, it will then bring  you to the edit page for the non-
> existent page.
>
> 2.  Make a link on a "sandbox" page like your User page (click your
> username) at the top and add a link to the non-existant page/category.
>
> Specifically for categories, categorizing a page into a non-existent
> category will put the link to the missing category at the bottom of
> the
> page where it can be clicked and saved.

OK, I figured out how to create a page, and I *think* I saved it
properly, but it doesn't show up and your reference to "categorizing"
doesn't mean anything to me, I don't see any link at the bottom, and
I have looked through help:editing extensively.

Does somebody have to look at the entry and approve it before it
shows up ???

I apologize, I know next to nothing about wiki entries, and no
offense intended, but this is about as intuitive as a Microsoft API.