[mythtv-users] Still no mythwelcome!

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Feb 21 14:37:33 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fredrik Karlsson" <dargosch at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2006 1:27 PM
Subject: [mythtv-users] Still no mythwelcome!

>Hi,

>Have I discovered a bug, or mearly a not noticed program?
>Is this an issue with mythwelcome and Xv? Something is going very
>wrong of the display of the program.

>I am using the xv-enabled X driver for the PVR-350 card.

>/Fredrik

>On 2/20/06, Fredrik Karlsson <dargosch at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Am I the ony one having this problem, or perhaps one of the few people
>> having discovered this excellent program ;-)
>>
>> I would appreciate any help I could get in this. I think this error is
>> SO STRANGE!
>>
>> /Fredrik

<snip>

All I can say is it works for me :-) I use it all the time on my production box and
I know of several other people who use it with no problems. Not sure if any of them
use a PVR-350 for output though.

Can you get mythfrontend to run using your PVR-350 as output. Mythwelcome
uses a single MythThemedDialog that are also used in  mythfrontend so there should
be no difference in running mythwelcome or mythfrontend.

Sorry I don't have a clue why it isn't working for you but here are a few random things
that you may not know or you can try.

One thing that may not be obvious is that by default when mythwelcome starts it
checks to see whether it was started automatically (because a recording is about to start)
or manually. If it thinks it was started manually it will then start the frontend. You can change
this behavior on the settings page (press INFO). Maybe something is going wrong when
trying to start the frontend?

Your original message said something about not being able to start an xterm using Ctrl-Enter
in your window manager. There's an hidden feature in that you can start a xterm from within
mythwelcome (Press F12).

If mythwelcome is actually running and has focus you close it by  pressing 'End'

MythWelcome can use the --verbose parameter. Maybe starting it with '-v all' will give you
a clue as to what is going on?

Paul H.