[mythtv-users] Color banding in mythfrontend preview window

Matt Kaar matt.kaar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 12:13:42 UTC 2006

On 2/21/06, Justin Hornsby <JHornsby at dmicros.com> wrote:

>         I got that when I upgraded to 0.19 too.  But when I got around to
> using my theme, ProjectGrayhem-wide (version 1.3), the previews looked
> normal again.  I think the problem must be related to the size of the
> preview window.  A couple of other people in the #mythtv-users IRC channel
> have noticed that the problem isn't there in my theme too.  FYI my frontend
> is an Epia-M10000, so this has nothing to do with the video drivers, unless
> nvidia & unichrome both have the same bug.
>
>         Not everybody sees the problem on their systems (obviously, or
> there'd be more posts about it), so my guess is that it's related to both
> the preview size and Xv.  Note: Because the problem doesn't show in my
> theme, the symptom _has_ to be related to (though maybe not caused by) the
> size of the preview window - there's nothing else it can logically be.
>
>         To further narrow down the cause of this problem it'd probably
> help if people seeing it mention which theme & they're using.
>
>         As a side note, I remember seeing a similar issue with 0.18 before
> the fixes branch was released.  I think that was caused by using certain
> compilation options / Qt, but I can't be sure.

This seems to be the case with me as well.  I was using the Blue theme and
also tried MythCenter, Photo, and Retro, and all showed the same banding in
the preview window.  Then I tried Minimalist-wide and no color problems at
all (though it looked pretty scrunched up on my 4:3 TV. :)

So it seems to be related to the 4:3-sized themes for me.

-Matt