[mythtv-users] Recommended hardware for MythGame

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 02:00:21 UTC 2006

--- "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
> >Paul Poetsma wrote:
> >

> >>I've tried running games with MythGame on a 1GHz
> Duron with a PVR350
> >>connected to the TV. The performance is horable.
> The CPU goes through the
> >>roof.
> >>
> >>I've recently changed the CPU to an Athlon XP
> 1600+ because the Duron broke,
> >>but I haven't tested MythGames yet. Will such a
> setup work now or do I have
> >>to add a graphics card as well? Where is the
> bottleneck?
> >>
> >>I'm looking forward to your
> recommendations/experiences.
> >>
> >Isn't the problem that the PVR-350 lacks any kind
> of OpenGL
> >acceleration?  I think you're going to need a
> graphics card.
> >

> I've heard that it's usable with John Harvey's
> Xv-capable X driver for
> the PVR-350, but I've never tried it (I quit using
> PVR-350 TV out a week
> after I got the 350).  So, I can't say whether
> "usable" means "passable"
> or "works fine."
>
> Mike

It is usable, but in my experience, I'd say, "barely
passable".  As always, since Xv support is (if I
recall correctly) software-based on the PVR-350, the
beefier the CPU you have, the better the performance
you'll get.

I no longer use my PVR-350's TV out, having instead
opted for my nVidia 5200FX, Bob deinterlacing and the
Chromakey OSD hack.  But when I was using the PVR-350,
I did a comparison between the 5200FX and the PVR-350
using my favorite game, Mortal Kombat II.

On my system (Athlon64 3200+ in 32-bit mode, 512MB of
RAM) the PVR-350 scored an average of 30fps.  The
nVidia 5200FX card was averaging 55fps.  Also the
PVR-350 required scaling to fit MK2 on the screen
(apparently xmame needed more than 480 pixels in the
vertical direction) so it also looked kinda crappy.

So really, it depends on the game, but in using the
Chromakey OSD, the issue of Bob wacking up the OSD is
solved (transparency is lost, but that's not a big
deal), so I'm back to using my 5200FX.

-- Joe