[mythtv-users] problems with tvtoday grabber and mythfilldatabase --manual

lau.ent at gmx.ch lau.ent at gmx.ch
Mon Feb 20 23:48:20 UTC 2006

Hi David and thanks a lot for those infos.

I did exactly what you said more or less easily and got the desired results!
I have my EPG populated with program infos and my channels configured.

For the record, this is what I did:
1. tv_grab_de_tvtoday --configure
--> this populated the file ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_de_tvtoday.conf with the list
of channels. I removed some of the channels I didn't want from that list.
2. tv_grab_de_tvtoday --config-file ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_de_tvtoday.conf
--output ~/.xmltv/output.xml
--> this is the actual grab for EPG infos. I specified the file output.xml
to store the output. The grab took quite a long time.
3. mythfilldatabase --file cable -1 output.xml
--> This filled the mythtv database with EPG infos. (cable is the name of my
video source)
4. opened the channel editor from within mythtv-setup and configured the new
imported channels. I had to specify for each channel its video source
(cable), its channel number and frequency. I got those infos from my cable
provider and ptune-ui.

My next question would now be, is there a way to automate the grabbing
process? Should I put the commands into crontab?

Thank you
laurent