[mythtv-users] Knoppmyth just plain not working.

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Feb 20 23:42:00 UTC 2006

Steve Dorsey wrote:

>   I have my CD ROM drive as master, and the hard drive as slave on
>the same bus. No other drives on the machine at all.

This is *bad*.

a) *never* share the same IDE bus unless a bunch of headhunters threaten
to shrink your head, especially not between a disk and non-disk (cdrom,
tape, etc) device.

b) *never* make your CDROM master unless it is the only device on the bus.

c) *always* make your primary drive the master on IDE0.

a) should always be followed for hardware and performance reasons.

b) and c) are pretty much by convention; software expects things to be
in certain places.

So, identify the IDE0 connector and plug the harddrive into it,
configured as master.  (usually blue on modern mobos).

Identify the IDE1 connector and plug the CDROM into it, configured as
master.

Now try it again.  And may the force be with you.

--Yan