[mythtv-users] Closed captioning support in 0.19

Brian turbo at talstar.com
Mon Feb 20 23:19:56 UTC 2006

Okay, so with all the "major" stuff straightened out on my system after the
0.18.1 --> 0.19 upgrade, I'm starting to play around with the 'minor'
stuff...

I understand MythTV now supports closed captioning in LiveTV and in recorded
programs, so I thought I'd try to see how that looks...

I first set my PVR-350 up:

I checked to see the current settings:

   [root at mythtv ~]# ivtvctl -BX -d /dev/video0
   ioctl VIDIOC_G_FMT ok
   vbi service_set = 00000000
   ioctl IVTV_IOC_G_VBI_EMBED ok
   vbi embedded in MPEG stream: off

Noting that it was turned off, I turned it on:

   [root at mythtv ~]# ivtvctl -b cc -x 1 -d /dev/video0
   ioctl VIDIOC_S_FMT ok
   vbi service_set set to 00001000
   ioctl IVTV_IOC_S_VBI_EMBED ok
   vbi embedded in MPEG stream set to 1

..and, even though it just told me it was on, I checked it:

   [root at mythtv ~]# ivtvctl -BX -d /dev/video0
   ioctl VIDIOC_G_FMT ok
   vbi service_set = 00001000
   ioctl IVTV_IOC_G_VBI_EMBED ok
   vbi embedded in MPEG stream: on
   [root at mythtv ~]#

Next, I ambled into the living room, turned on the Home Theater system,
turned on the TV, and on Myth's main menu, chose "Watch TV".  It was on CNN
Headline News, and I verified they were sending closed captions on a
standard television in the computer room.  I pressed 'T' on the keyboard (I
haven't [yet] set up any keys on the remote for CC), and was immediately
presented with:

   CC:?

...in the OSD.  I pressed 'T' again, and the OSD now displayed:

   CC/TXT enabled

After a few seconds, this display faded out, but I didn't see any closed
captioning.  I hit 'T' again, was presented with the same "CC:?" display,
and so I pressed '1' and it displayed "CC:1".  I hit 'T' again, and it again
presented "CC/TXT enabled", but I never saw any captioning...  I repeated
this test again, using the number '2', and again with the number '0', but at
no point did I see any closed captioning on MythTV.

So, the question is -- have I missed setting up something on the card, via
ivtvctl, or am I doing something wrong (the documentation for this feature
is sparse/non-existant) in Myth to get the closed captioning to appear, or
am I doing everything exactly right, but things aren't working anyway?

 - briand