[mythtv-users] Controlling TV via Myth

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 23:08:06 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 February 2006 19:21, yan seiner wrote:
> mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk wrote:
> >On Monday 20 February 2006 18:25, yan seiner wrote:
> >>I have a Sharp LC series TV.  It can be controlled from a PC via a
> >>serial port.  What I really want is a way to 'click through' to the TV,
> >>so that I can click on a Watch Live TV menu option in myth, and it will
> >>set the TV from HDMI input to TV.  I could also send channel change
> >>info  via LIRC....
> >>
> >>And then click on some key - 'quit' maybe - on the remote and have Myth
> >>set the TV back from TV to HDMI input.
> >>
> >>Can this be done?
> >
> >In theory yes but it's possible that Sharp have some kind of proprietary
> >connection protocol that only works from their windows app...
>
> Actually Sharp puts the codes in the User's Manual, which is kind of
> refreshing...

Wow and cool :-)

> >Assuming that it isn't though you'd just need a little script to send the
> >correct codes and use irexec to run that from the various keys.
>
> That's the plan.  That part should be simple.
>
> >Not sure about calling a script before going into live tv but ISTR that
> > all the frontend screens are editable so you might be able to edit the
> > option to call an external script that sets it then calls the watch live
> > tv option.
>
> I looked in the menus (the xml files) and all I found was some
> references to what I assumed were internal tags....
>
> What parses the xml menus?  And where would I include the call to my app?

Not sure about what parses them but you could modify the source to run it
first, depends on your coding ability but I believe[1]
programs/mythfrontend/main.cpp contains the code to actually start the 'live
TV' and you could stick an exit point to an external script there before and
after.

In fact that's not such a bad idea anyway, to have predefined exit points to
allow an external script to run prior to an event. Pity my C/C++ is so pants
otherwise I'd be tempted to add it myself.

David

[1] My C/C++ is virtually non-existant but I can use grep and / ;-)