[mythtv-users] Commflagging speed "internal" vs. mythcommflag

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Feb 20 21:48:29 UTC 2006

> When started from MythTV, commflagging is much slower (takes less CPU
> and takes longer) than starting mythcommflag manually in the console.
> It's 50fps vs. 140fps.

That's because you have the JobQueue CPU setting set to LOW which means
that the flagger will run at a nice level of 17 and will sleep a little
every frame.  When you run it from the command line, it won't do this
so it uses more CPU and runs faster.

> With the ps command, I see that MythTV starts mythcommflag with "-j 25
> -V 515". There parameters do not show with "mythcommflag --help".

These are not meant for user use.  The -j is the JobQueue job ID from
the jobqueue table to tell the flagger what recording it is runing
for and the -V is the value of a Myth internal variable called
print_verbose_messages which is a bitmask of verbose settings to
determine what debugging info should be printed.

> Can I speed up the automatic commflagging?

Go into mythtv-setup and change the JobQueue CPU setting to Medium or
High, but beware, this may cause hickups in your recordings since the
flagger will try to consume 100% cpu and will not run as a niced
process.

--
Chris