[mythtv-users] System Load/Performance Question

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Feb 20 16:37:34 UTC 2006

Brian Wood wrote:

>On Feb 19, 2006, at 10:00 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

>>>Google for PCI latency....  That may give you some relief, or not.
>>>
>>>ISTR you can adjust it via /proc..
>>>

>>OK, I'll do that, thanks.
>>
>>I should have mentioned BTW, I am getting "prebuffering pauses" from
>>the frontend when these glitches happen.
>>

>Also: I've always got a message when ivtv inits:
>
>"Unreasonably low latency timer setting to 64 (was 32)"
>
>I'd always ignored this because I'd seen it in a lot of posted logs,
>so I more or less assumed it was normal.

The way I understand PCI latency, the greater the number, the more time
slices that slot gets.  So you can increase bandwith by increasing
latency, by 'buffering' those transfers on the card.  So you can play
with latencies to give some cards more ability to transfer data.  Too
short latencies drive overhead to the point where data transfers are
very slow.

You can do this in the bios for some machines but also via /proc; I
think linux sets PCI latencies so I'm not sure how the BIOS and linux
settings work.

--Yan