[mythtv-users] internal mixer and "Analog Front"

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 20 02:54:27 UTC 2006

On 02/19/2006 06:27 PM, Mike wrote:
> I have an Audigy2 LS and I'm trying to get myth to control the mixer
> channel "Analog Front". I don't have a PCM or a Master. But I do have
> this channel which controls the volume.

Post-0.19 SVN: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/8929

0.19 and before (or Post-0.19 SVN for controlling volume of surround
channels when your sound card's Master control doesn't):  You have the
option of "Mixer controls Master" and "Mixer controls PCM." If you want
to control anything else (including Center, Surround, LFE, ...), you'll
have to use an external program.

First, you need to disable the internal volume controls in Myth:

Use internal volume controls
MythTV can control the PCM and master mixer volume. If you prefer to
use an external mixer program, then disable this option.

So, uncheck that option. Then, set up your system to use an external
program for volume. For example, if you're using LIRC, set your volume
buttons like:

begin
  prog = irexec
  button = volume-up
  config = /path/to/volume.sh up &
  repeat = 2
end
begin
  prog = irexec
  button = volume-down
  config = /path/to/volume.sh down &
  repeat = 2
end
begin
  prog = irexec
  button = mute
  config = /path/to/volume.sh mute &
  config = /path/to/volume.sh unmute &
  repeat = 0
end

(The mute button will work as a toggle--muting the sound the first time
you press it and unmuting the second time.) Adjust the repeat to give
you the speed of volume changes you desire when holding down vol-up or
vol-down.  Note, also, that you need to change the button names to
whatever you've defined in your lircd.conf and you *must* start irexec
(i.e. add "irexec -d" (no quotes) to .xinitrc).

Make sure you edit the configuration settings in volume.sh as described
in its comments.  It assumes that you have amixer and awk and mythtvosd
(and ?) in your PATH.  If not, you'll need to edit a bit.  If you don't
want the OSD or if your OSD theme doesn't support the alerts, comment
out the mythtvosd lines (2 or 3 lines per mythtvosd command)

Note that I played with volume.sh for a while, but I haven't done much
with it lately because I still only have 2 speakers, so I haven't had to
finish fixing it up...  Oh, and *please* heed the warning in volume.sh
and test the amixer command line before running the script (see
"VOLUME=" line).  Please let me know if you find any issues/problems
using it--or if you find a nicer way of getting an "OSD".  :)

> Is there a way to get it to control a mixer control with a space in it?
> I've tried putting 'Analog Front' and "Analog Front" in there but both
> didn't work. I think what its trying to do is control Analog and it
> skips everything after the space.

mixer device != mixer control

Mike