[mythtv-users] Ubuntu and XvMC

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Mon Feb 20 02:12:05 UTC 2006

Anyone successfully using XvMC with an nVidia card on Ubuntu Breezy?
Trying to figure out if I am starting down a rat hole here... I checked
the Ubuntu forums, and I see a lot of people asking how to enable XvMC,
but no real responses.

Breezy does appear to be using the XvMCW wrapper library, but even after
configuring the /etc/X11/XvMCConfig file, my X server bombs out every
time I run an XvMC app.

There's also another bug anyone else trying this should be aware of that
you would need to work around... there is some weird interaction between
the version of X.org that Breezy uses and XvMCW, which causes it to skip
a period in the name of the XvMC library when it attempts to load it
(e.g. libXvMC.so1 rather than libXvMC.so.1). I believe a symbolic link
resolves the issue short term. Again, this didn't actually let me use
XvMC, however.

Any help appreciated!

		--Matt