[mythtv-users] non-OTA HDTV encoding

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 19 23:25:15 UTC 2006

http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Supported+hardware+and+caveats

> When I noticed the mention of this:
>     "but support is not complete for the vt1625 HDTV
>
>     encoder present on some Commel motherboards."
>
> This seems to be a press release regarding the chip:
>     http://www.physorg.com/news477.html
>
> Would this hardware allow one to encode HDTV ->
> mpeg2
> just like a PVR x50 allows one to encode SDTV?
>
> Would this eliminate the dependency on OTA HDTV in
> MythTV? Would it allow you to record from HDTV
> outputs
> on Dish and Cable boxes in the US?
>

> --
> Jesse Guardiani
> Programmer/Sys Admin
> jesse at wingnet.net

After looking over the press release, I get the
impression that the VT1625 is a chip that takes data
from another chip (i.e. MPEG2 decoder) and decodes it
to an output format (i.e. TV-out, component out or
VGA).

So, no, I don't think that you'll be able to capture
data from the component outputs of your satellite
boxes and encode them into MythTV that way, at least
not with this chip.  It would be nice, but I can't see
the U.S. entertainment industry fighting such a
measure.

-- Joe