[mythtv-users] Configuring Mythtv remotely

Dylan R. Semler dsemler at macalester.edu
Sun Feb 19 22:49:22 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>You can run X remotely.
>
>Make sure your box you're SSHing from has an X Server (cygwin on
>Windows, X11 on OS X or Linux has it built in).
>In your X terminal, type xhost + to allow remote X connections.
>
>ssh user at mythbox
>export DISPLAY=remotebox:0.0
>
>Now when you launch an application that uses the display from your
>ssh session, it will run the display on your remote machine.

I've always wondered if this method is any different from simply using
ssh with the -X flag.

ssh user at mythbox -X
mythtv-frontend

do these two commands do anything different?  On a similar note, does
anyone know if there is a way to export audio via ssh.  Typically if I
ssh into a box and run xmms, the sound will be playing on the box that I
sshed into, not on the one where I sshed from.

Dylan