[mythtv-users] Rebuilding seek tables in 0.19; some progress

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sun Feb 19 03:54:48 UTC 2006

As previously mentioned here I found that MythTV recordings that I
manually reinserted into the database following a database crash no
longer had the seek table data and were, therefore, unusable for
anything other than straight playback from the start with no jumping
around.

In 0.19 there's some progress, but not as much as I'd hoped:

* 'mythcommflag --file xyz.nuv --rebuild' zooms through the file at
  high speed (150-450fps) and a seek table, of a sort, is rebuilt, but
  it's not quite what I'm looking for. For example, a 90-minute movie
  turns into what MythTV thinks is six minutes or so, with each minute
  mark dividing about 15 minutes of the program (so if I jump to the
  6-minute mark--random seeks now work, at least in this sens--I'll
  see the closing credits). If I were to watch the movie from the
  start I'm pretty sure the system would think the movie is over after
  about 6 minutes of real-time video.

* 'mythtranscode --mpeg2 --infile xyz.nuv --buildindex --showprogress'
  does, indeed, properly rebuild the seek table (also works without
  --buildindex, but then I notice that in each jump the resulting
  video tends to "blend" for a brief moment; presumably --buildindex's
  key frames is what avoids this). Speed isn't great, though (about
  2/3 of the real-time duration of a HDTV broadcast, and about 1/6 of
  the duration of a SD broadcast), and it'll be a major pain to run
  each and every one of my recordings thorugh it. (Anyone with some
  script-fu want to whip up a shell script I can feed a whole bunch of
  file names into to at least partially automate this task?)

Other suggestions?