[mythtv-users] HD-3000 analog support (was Re: Thanks!)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 19 03:34:18 UTC 2006

On 02/18/2006 08:11 PM, Mudit Wahal wrote:
> On 2/18/06, Robert Tsai <rtsai1111 at comcast.net> wrote:

>>> This comment is so 24 hours ago :)
>>>
>>> Check out the HD-3000 analog support in SVN..
>>>
>> Is this a "because it can" kind of thing? I get broadcast HDTV with my
>> HD-3000 cards. Why would I want to get broadcast analog instead?
>>
>> If I wanted analog cable TV, I could get a PVR-500 for the same price,
>> and have two tuners ...
>>
> HD3000 has QAM support. So, you can record both HD channels and SD
> channels from the cable. Its more cable thingy than OTA.

Actually, the new checkin allows configuring the same pcHDTV card as
both an analog frame grabber /and/ as a digital video capture card (
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/9022 ).  That means that Myth can
capture analog sources--OTA (via the RF antenna input), cable (via the
RF antenna input or the S-Video or Composite inputs), or satellite (via
the S-Video or Composite inputs)--when it's not using the digital side
of the card.

I think it was put in place because some people want HDTV, but also want
channels from cable/satellite that aren't available in HDTV and don't
want to purchase additional cards just for those channels.  So, since
the PVR-x50's/500 don't support HDTV, the only way to do it with one
card is using an HDTV card.  If you already have hardware encoder cards
available in addition to HDTV cards, you're probably better off not
using the capability, but it's there for those who want it.

Mike