[mythtv-users] Radeon 8500 hdtv questions...

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:32:32 UTC 2006

James Dastrup wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 11:56 -0500, Raphael Pooser wrote:
>
>> g the driver in properly hinges
>> on having your kernel source uncompressed in the usr/src/linux
>> directory, etc, when you try and run the ATI kernel module installer binary.
>> As far as I know, using the open source radeon driver doesn't help in
>> this regard, I have to use fglrx - if someone can confirm on that.
>>

> Yes, you must use ATI's fglrx drivers. The open source drivers won't
> work for HD, regardless of how fast your CPU is.
>
> Typically, with your kernel source available where it should be, just
> run the ati-installer downloaded from ATI's website. You can try using
> your distro's package, but I've actually had better luck with ATI's on
> both gentoo and SuSE, although I have gotten them to work as well.
>
> ATI no longer includes the 'fglrxconfig' tool to help set up your
> xorg.conf, but instead they have 'aticonfig'. It's not as automated, but
> allows for better control.

Hey James, if you don't mind answering this: following my own advice
installing the ati drivers no longer works!  I'm trying to install the
latest version, which now uses aticonfig rather than fglrxconfig.  Now
my kernel module isn't getting loaded properly.  We both say you need
your kernel source in the right place.  In my experience it is only the
headers though.  Ie. the package I would need installed would be kernel
headers for my kernel version.  I'm using ubuntu Breezy and it seems not
obvious to find the whole source.  Can you confirm if it works for you
with just headers or do you need the whole source?  Ati installer didn't
give me any errors, but once loaded the fireglcontrol panel gives me
"unknown" for my opengl vendor string.  If you don't mind, let me know
what you think.  Thanks for your xorg.conf snippet btw - that at least
looks just like the type of conf needed for the older drivers that used
fglrxconfig.
Raphael