[mythtv-users] Choppiness w/ transcoded digital broadcast

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Feb 17 16:28:23 UTC 2006

Chris Pinkham wrote:

>Are you running a patched mplayer to allow it to read Myth's nuppel files?
>Here's the patch I'm using, it's the newest that I know of:
>
>http://www.bc2va.org/chris/tmp/mplayer-1.0pre6-mythtv-20050305.diff
>
>I fixed a few things in it to honor the aspect ratio in the nuppel file.

OK, I will get a copy and compile mplayer with it....  It may be a day
or so.

>>I will record another show today and keep a copy of the original capture
>>to see if it is a capture issue or a transcoding issue, but in the
>>meantime I am looking for ideas....
>>

>I haven't noticed anything like this, but haven't watched any transcoded
>shows in a week or so either.
>
>If the problem persists, get a copy of nuvscan and run it on the .nuv file
>and email me the output and I'll take a look.  Also, note in the email
>where exactly the problem starts (ie, what time) so I can find it in the
>nuvscan output.

OK.  I'll see what I can dig up.

>What SVN revision are you on?

Actually, I am running 0.18.1 on the backend from ATRpms and KnoppMyth
on the frontend.

I just got this stuff more-or-less stable, so I am not really anxious to
jump into SVN unless I have to.

I did some more tests this morning, including running the frontend from
a console window.  It turns out that I am getting a whole bunch of
prebuffering pauses, and that is probably the issue.  The question is why?

Is it possible that this is a network issue?

The backend is on a separate machine, and the recordings are on a RAID-0
partition.  Not the fastest in the world, but hdparm says I have 400/57
mb/sec on that partition, which should be ample.

The network card in the front end is a POS RTL8129; could this be the
issue?  I think I may have a 3COM 905(?) card somewhere; I can pop it in
there if that would help.  Also, I can NFS mount the recordings
partition if that would help....

--Yan