[mythtv-users] Which device is which

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:32:54 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> Michael Haan wrote:
> > On 2/16/06, *R. G. Newbury* <newbury at mandamus.org
> > <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Brian Wood wrote:
> >

> > I appreciate the time you put into this e-mail.  This seems like a
> > weak spot in linux; I'm suprised it exists!
> I'm not so sure that it is a 'weak spot' so much as 'the way it works is
> not quite what we think it is'....The damn thing IS a computer. It
> always does what it's told, it's just that we tell it to do stupid
> things, not the smart things we think we are telling it to do.
>
> That the kernel loads the modules for the hardware it finds makes
> perfect sense. That it does not *seem* to do so in a repeatable order
> may well be "operator error".  I did not spend any time checking what
> was going on. IIRC it was the cx88-blackbird module which kept being
> moved in front of cx88-dvb. Maybe those two have to be that way, and it
> is actually correct. Maybe I should just make the file read-only!
>
> In any event, once the kernel has loaded the module, modprobe.conf is
> irrelevant. This fact IS a little obscure....
>
> Make sure to let us know what you find out......a "SOLVED" in the
> subject would be good...
>
> Geoff
>

> --
>        R. Geoffrey Newbury
>      Barrister and Solicitor
> Suite 106, 150 Lakeshore Road West
>     Mississauga, Ontario, L5H 3R2
>
>   905-271-9600  Fax 905-271-1638
>        newbury at mandamus.org

Yeah, no I mean that the difficulty in telling which modules were loaded in
response to which hardware or, conversely,  which drivers each card is
using.  In any case, I pulled the Fusion5 out leaving just the pvr 350 and
the HD3000 (again, a config which was working before) and grabbed lsmod |
sort - here is some of it:

btcx_risc              38857  3 cx8800,cx8802,cx88xx
button                 41185  0
cx22702                40389  1 cx88_dvb
cx8800                 71373  0
cx8802                 47173  1 cx88_dvb
cx88_dvb               46429  0
cx88xx                103265  3 cx8800,cx88_dvb,cx8802
dm_mod                 99337  0
dv1394                 57273  0
dvb_core              129277  1 video_buf_dvb
dvb_pll                45509  4 cx88_dvb,or51132,nxt200x,cx22702

I'm posting this because I thought someone said that cx8800 would block
cx88_dvb, or is it that I can only use one set of functions - dvb, or ntsc -
at a time (in which case it's ok that both are loaded)?