[mythtv-users] Mythcommflag in Italy or Europe

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 16 15:06:11 UTC 2006

On 02/16/2006 02:04 AM, Thomas Börkel wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Besides the default strategy (blank frame), there's scene change, logo,
>> blank frame and scene change, and all.  And, note that you must have
>> "Automatically Flag Commercials" enabled to use anything other than
>> blank frame.
> Why is it necessary to enable automatically flagging to be able to use
> all stragegies?
>
> I'd like to flag some older recordings with all strategies.

How's this for a useless answer?  Because the documentation for the
setting says so:

Commercial Skip Method
This determines the method used by MythTV to detect when commercials
start and end.  You must have 'Automatically Flag Commercials' enabled
to use anything other than 'Blank Frame'.

I think it may have to do with the way recording works with software
encoders.  When using a software encoder, Myth writes (used to write?)
information about some of the blank frames to the database, and this
could be used as a "poor-man's skip list" (i.e. could be used for
LiveTV--or even recordings--without requiring the user to run mythcommflag).

So, it's possible that this part of the documentation is not current or
is just a bit misleading (especially for users of hardware encoders/DVB
cards)--I'll have to defer that question to Chris Pinkham or someone
else with more knowledge of the comm flagging functionality and how it's
changed over the past couple of years.  However, I know that I have
Automatically Flag Commercials enabled and when I run mythcommflag from
the command line, I see it detecting the logo.  Therefore, you should be
able to get the behavior you desire (i.e. using "All" on old
recordings).  If you test "All" without auto-flag set and you see logo
detection occurring, please post your results.

HTH.

Mike