[mythtv-users] /dev/v4l/video0 errors after .19 upgrade

John Erickson jerickso at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:44:04 UTC 2006

On 2/16/06, Carl Fongheiser <carlfongheiser at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you used the ebuild to install 0.19, your backend is now running as user
> "mythtv", rather than root. Make sure that that user has permission to open
> /dev/v4l/video0.  This would typically be done by adding that user to the
> "video" group.

While you're at it, make sure that the mythtv user has permission to
do all of the other things it needs to.  Based on the fact that you're
capturing on composite I'll guess that you're using a channel changing
script.  So things to also check while you're at it:
- Permission to write to your recordings directory
- Permission to change channels, in my case the mythtv user needs to
be in the tty group to write to the serial port
- Permission to capture audio, make mythtv a member of the audio group
(not needed for mpeg2 encoder cards)
- Permission to capture video, make mythtv a member of the video group

You can check to see what groups mythtv is in by running the following:
groups mythtv

You can add mythtv to the needed groups by running:
usermod mythtv -G tty,audio,video,users

(If you don't list a group that the user is currently in, that group
is removed from the user)

-John Erickson