[mythtv-users] Can you probe an nvidia card to get current modeline?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Wed Feb 15 21:47:09 UTC 2006

Nick wrote:
> On 15/02/06, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
>
>>  Nick wrote:
>>  On 14/02/06, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
>>

>>  I'm assuming this doesn't work for VT[1-6] which is what I am really
>> curious about. I still have no idea what mode or resolution VT[1-6] is
>> using, but after 6 months of playing around, it it the only thing that
>> causes my TV to kick into 1080i mode.
>>
>>  The standard text mode resolution is typically 80x25. You can however
>> specify different modes via your kernel startup options with 'vga=xxx'
>> which requires console framebuffer support.
>>
>> Nick
>>
>>  80x25 can be achieved at various resolutions.  640x480 -1600x1200, etc.
>> I'm trying to figure out in the very least what resolution is being used.
>>

> This surely only applies to graphical terminals using an X framebuffer
> driver (e.g. my server doesn't have /dev/fb*, but still has a
> console). I thought pure text-mode consoles were standard-VGA-monitor
> friendly and don't use graphical modes per se. However, I am likely
> wrong about that too!
>
> Nick

Okay, I'm learning new stuff.
  So I have:
mythtv at mythtv:~$ ll /dev/fb*
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 0 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb0
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 1 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb1
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 2 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb2
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 3 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb3
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 4 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb4
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 5 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb5
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 6 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb6
crw-rw----  1 root video 29, 7 Mar 20  2005 /dev/fb7
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb0
open /dev/fb0: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb1
open /dev/fb1: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb2
open /dev/fb2: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb3
open /dev/fb3: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb4
open /dev/fb4: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb5
open /dev/fb5: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb6
open /dev/fb6: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb7
open /dev/fb7: No such device
mythtv at mythtv:~$ fbset -fb /dev/fb8
open /dev/fb8: No such file or directory

So does this mean I have a non graphical console?  Can I switch my
machine to use a graphical
one?

--
Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--