[mythtv-users] Mythcommflag in Italy or Europe

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 15 16:16:35 UTC 2006

On 02/15/2006 11:05 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/15/06, Paul Andreassen <paulx at andreassen.com.au> wrote:

>>> I have the same problem in the UK. Some ads aren't matched, or it'll
>>> match the start of the ads, then match the end of the channel
>>> "trailers" as the end of the adverts, so I still have to skip the
>>> adverts.
>> Could you please have a look at the output of a run of mythcommflag, it may
>> give some ideas of the problem.
>>
>> export DEBUGCOMMFLAG=1
>> mythcommflag -c 1002 -s 20050925223500 --verbose commflag --force  >
>> commflagout.txt 2>&1
> In the US and I'd say its 95% accurate on about 20% of the channels,
> 70% accurate on about 30% of the channels and 30% accurate on the
> other 50% of the channels.
>
> All of this is due to how the different channels handle switching to
> and from commercials from the actual show. Some make mythcommflag's
> life easy some make it quite difficult.

And remember that there are several different commercial detection
strategies--some of which work better in different areas.  Therefore, I
recommend trying out some of the others.  Also, you should probably
disable the aggressive setting while testing.

Besides the default strategy (blank frame), there's scene change, logo,
blank frame and scene change, and all.  And, note that you must have
"Automatically Flag Commercials" enabled to use anything other than
blank frame.

Mike