[mythtv-users] firewire output to TV

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 00:26:45 UTC 2006

On 2/14/06, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> What exactly is the advantage of XvMC?  Is it for less powerful
> processors to playback well?  Is it something I even need to use if I
> have an Atholon 3100?

XvMC (Xv Motion Compensation) offloads a lot of processing from the
CPU to the graphics card when decoding mpeg2.  It's useful if you need
more CPU cycles for other things.  But if you have a powerful enough
CPU, you may have no need for it.

Or to more succinctly answer your last two questions:  Yes.  No (well,
depending what else your processor is doing).

-Jerry