[mythtv-users] Their Baaaacccckkk!

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Feb 14 22:59:47 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:18:33PM -0500, Ray Benjamin wrote:
> I think being a pain to the real consumer is the real goal. These
> guys want to control your schedule. They want to insure that they can
> provide a certain audience at a given time to watch a given
> commercial. I did some work for Nielsen, the company that measures
> who watches what when. Most of the broadcasting/commercial/marketing
> economy is built around the idea that TV stations can deliver an
> audience. If people can fast forward through commercials, then the
> whole world will have to change. It will have a major effect on our
> economy and that of many other countries.

Indeed: Television, and lately, more and more, theatres, are in the
business of selling eyeballs to advertisers.

Though I apparently wasn't supposed to be posting such things, there's
a pointer on the wiki's news section to a couple of Doc Searls pieces,
and this is one of his favorite nails on which to hammer.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?