[mythtv-users] Radeon 8500 hdtv questions...

James Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue Feb 14 16:09:41 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 10:51 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/14/06, James Dastrup <jc at dastrup.com> wrote:
> > > >

> > If you want to use ATI, you need at least a 9600 and a P4 2.8 (or AMD
> > equivalent).  You'll find that it works just fine, and you will have
> > less problems than with the nVidia cards because there is less to
> > configure - no opengl, no XvMC, no recompiling Myth every time you
> > change the driver version, etc.
>
> well, I don't use XvMC (won't work?) or openGL (don't seem to need
> it), I'm still running v7676 which is quite old, and I run SVN so I
> recompile ~every other day. Considering he cheapest I can find a 9600
> for is $150, or I can spend $50(incl. shipping) on a 5600 card, and
> perhaps at some time decide to enable XvMC...
>
> plus, with the hell the ATI drivers made me go through to end up not
> listening to any of my custom modelines, I don't know if I want to go
> through the hassle again. If you know what I was doing wrong and how
> to fix it, I may be willing to give the card a whirl on a spare
> computer.

The fanless Radeon 9600 SE can be found for about $60 (USD) all over the
place.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php?page_id=5&form_keyword=radeon+9600&rd=1

I'm fortunate enough to not need modelines with my TV's since EDID
provides accurate info for a perfect picture.  I've used modelines in
the past, using entechtaiwan.com's Monitor Asset Manager, which works
pretty darn well.