[mythtv-users] FC4 0.19 Upgrade Successful via atrpms

Jason Sharpe mythtv.list at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 14:15:08 UTC 2006

Good Morning All!

I just wanted to give provide some info that might help others.

I have 1 master BE, 1 slave BE, and 2 frontends. All running FC4 32bit.

Quick Rundown:

Master BE:
MSI K8N Neo 4 Mobo
AMD64 4200+ X2
2 gig of ram
1 HD-3000 (OTA HD)
1 PVR-250 (Dish Network)
1 Firewire (DCT-6200)
1 TB for Storage

Slave backend is used for jobs only. (Comm Flag, Transcode, Nuvexport, etc)

Most used frontend:
Mobo Type Escapes me at the moment
P4 3.0
1 gig of ram
Turtle Beach Sound Card for SPDIF Optical Out
Nvidia 6800 GT with DVI to HDMI into my 50" Samsung plasma

I backed up my SQL database via sqldump twice (can never be to careful..:)

I started first by doing a yum update on all my boxes. This lead to a
problem with the ivtv yum bug on my master BE which was easily solved by
Smart per Axel's instructions (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/176406?search_string=ivtv%20yum%20bug;#176406
).

I upgraded all the boxes to the latest Kernel (15.1-1832.FC4smp) and
upgraded all the packages for it (Nvidia, alsa, ivtv, lirc, etc) on all the
boxes. Also downgraded my Nvidia drivers on my main front end from 8156 to
7676 (I had no problems with 8156 before, but I thought it was better safe
then sorry since using the an older one was recommended.)

I enabled the Testing Repo at atrpms and upgraded myth to .19 on all the
boxes. On my main FE I had mythstream installed and had to remove to upgrade
because of a dependency of mythstream looking for mythtv-frontend-api .18.
No biggie, I really didn't use it.

I took a deep breath and ran mythtv-setup on the master BE. Everything
seemed to run ok, there were some features I had been waiting for so I was
glad to see them in there. Ran through the setup and checked the rest of the
areas to make sure everything looked ok. Everything did.

I then ran the frontend on my master BE (just to test it, I usually don't
run it on there so I just went in and then went out of it). I then followed
the instructions in the readme for MythWeb and got that fired up with no
problems. (it was a bit more then just the old plug and play MythWeb in .18
but nothing to bad, the documentation was great!)

I then setup Mythflix. Not to hard, just followed the docs, I used
phpMyAdmin to insert the needed rows in the database. It is working pretty
well (see below)

So then I went to my main (aka mostly used) frontend and fired it up.
Everything seem to work ok, I tested viewing my recordings, web, weather,
etc. I usually don't watch to much Live TV as I ALWAYS have something to
watch plus I was having an issue with watching 1080i network feeds on my
plasma (I always have the just transcoded them). I watched Live TV and it
seems to be working really well. I need to do more testing on Live TV, but I
am happy with the results.

I did find 2 issues that I need to look into more, by the time I got to just
playing with the system it was late and the bed was calling.

Issues:
In Mythflix, if I am viewing my queue and press 1 to put that movie at the
top of the list I get a segmentation fault. However if I use the menu and
select the option to move a movie it to the top of the queue, it works ok. I
need to get more details on it.

In the Setup screen in the frontend there is a new option to bind keys (I
can't remember what it is called at the moment), when I select it the
frontend exits and in the log it mentioned something about the Dictionary
being deleted.... again, need more time to look at it.

Overall, it has been a very positive upgrade and I like what I can see! Now
I just need to start showing the the wife the new stuff.

If anyone has questions, I would be happy to help out where I can.

Jason