[mythtv-users] Alternatives to DataDirect?

Tom McKearney tommck at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:59:59 UTC 2006

On 2/13/06, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org <mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org>
wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 33
> Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:19:55 -0800
> From: John Biundo <johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Alternatives to DataDirect?
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Isaac Richards wrote:
> > They've stopped limiting the data (see their forums for the
> announcement).
> >
> > However:  Please, don't everyone go out and manually refresh their data
> right
> > now.  Just let myth update it automatically as it normally would.  It
> won't
> > make any difference at all to the data you'll get, you won't miss any
> > recordings, and won't cause a bigass spike on their servers.
> >
> > Isaac
>
> [snip]
> I'm suggesting that there be some high-visibility communication (ie.,
> from Isaac would be best, IMHO) explaining the issue and how to comply
> with best practices.  As Tom at zap2it mentioned, all those who were
> likely to comply with this behavior with a little nudge have probably
> already done so.  A highly visible announcement might provide the larger
> nudge to move the rest of us, and set the expectation going forward for
> new users.  Reviewing installation and howto docs (the rest of us, not
> Isaac ;-) to make sure they spell this out would also be a good idea.

If there are truly people requesting too much data, they could also flag
those individual users as a problem and send them warning emails.  I would
be glad to run some randomizing algorithm, but I can't help but wonder if it
would be easier if DataDirect would actuall _assign_ a time (a couple of
options?) for my updates.  That way, they could keep track of the expected
bandwidth and server impacts.

Just a thought.