[mythtv-users] 0.19 frontend doesn't work with a 0.18 backend

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 00:39:10 UTC 2006

On 2/13/06, Bryan Halter <bhalter at armyofpenguins.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> >Just trying to save someone else the time I wasted building 0.19 on my
> >desktop machine.
> >
> >This sort of change is not very nice. I have to completely rebuild a
> >network of 4 frontends and one backend just to try it out.
> >
> >Bummer....
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Mark
> >

> Correct has been that way since the beginning of time (well since I
> started using it at .14).
>
> Are you making Gentoo builds or do you have a masochistic streak in you
> a mile wide that you don't just use the packages available through
> ATRPMS?  If it is the former Gentoo allows you to build a binary package
> which you could distribute to your 4 frontends assuming they are all the
> same platform.  This might save you some time.  The other thought is to
> not restart the mythbackend/mythfrontend until all 4 are done building.
> That's what I do and haven't had any problems with it as of yet.
>
> --Bryan

I was just doing a rather normal emerge world operation on my desktop
machine. The Gentoo ebuild process isn't smart enough to look across
the network to see what I might be talking to so I got burned.

Now, while you say 'of course' please try to remember that we're not
all as smart or as experienced as you are. I was just hoping to save
some other user types like me a few minutes of work. Sorry to have
wasted your bandwidth.

Cheers,
Mark