[mythtv-users] Zap2it Labs: Temporary scale-back to 3 days of listings

Roland Roberts roland at astrofoto.org
Mon Feb 13 22:06:02 UTC 2006

    >> > We update the database once a day, so the time of day you download
    >> > within the 24 hour span is immaterial.  You won't get
    >> anything new at 5:00 p.m.
    >> > (just before primetime) as opposed to 5:00 a.m.
    >>
    >> Hmmm.  I can see how, no matter what time of day that update
    >> actually *is*, it could interact poorly with a) when people
    >> retrieve and b) when networks update.  Cause, no, I don't
    >> think it actually *is* immaterial when we download.  If it's
    >> *just before* you update, we lose an extra day's currency.

If downloads are over a week long, it doesn't matter much to me about
when I download.  It's only when it is a short period that it matters.

    Zap2It-Labs> Yes, you're right.  I guess I'm used to some people
    Zap2It-Labs> downloading hundreds (or even thousands) or times per
    Zap2It-Labs> day, totally pointlessly, from DataDirect, thinking
    Zap2It-Labs> they're getting updated data (I guess).

When I intially configuring my server, I download several times in one
day, but since then it has never been more than twice (once manually,
once automatically) and usually just the one automatic downoad.

    >> And for what it's worth (just so my position is clear), you guys
    >> *rock* for doing this at all (much less for free).  :-) I'd just
    >> like to help all involved to make it work even better on both
    >> sides.

Yes, another thank you from here!

And as was mentioned elsewhere, I would be good with a limited number of
daily downloads, too, if that helps deal with load problems.

regards,

roland
--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD