[mythtv-users] DVICo Fusion Gold - v4l?

Noah Markon nmarkon at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:49:11 UTC 2006

> 2. if it's a certified windows mce tuner, then it's supposed to do hw mpeg
> encoding.  if it's not certified, then all bets are off. they claim support,
> but they don't mention certification, so i dunno what to say about that.

It is certified, well at least my Fusion3 card is, and I assume the
fusion 5 is also. In MCE you always need to have a tuner besides the
Fusion cards, because the fusion cards can't do hardware encoding of
non-hd, and MCE requires a analog hardware encoding tuner.  So the
cards have an analog tuner on them, however the encoding is not done
in hardware, so the analog tuner is not certified for MCE. However
encoding HD is a bit different, I don't think there's any encoding.
I've always read that it just tunes HD channel and passes the stream
onto the HD, since HD is already digital, or something like that, and
therefore none of the HDTV tuners are "hardware encoders".

> I'm a day away from building my first HTPC. MythTV is part 'n' parcel. I
> thought I'd made a wise decision by choosing the Fusion 5 gold + card as my
> sole card. With the above exchange, I'm now wondering if I need, say, a
> pvr250/350 also?
>
> Should I even mess with the Fusion 5 card? I'm only going to be using OTA HD.

If you're going to get another card just get a prv150 for around $50.
I have a pvr 150 + my fusion card, I got the fusion card just for
HDTV. If you want OTA or QAM HD, and plainold cable then keep the
fusion5 and get a pvr150.,
I hope this helps..
Noah