[mythtv-users] Help with a semi-busted hard drive (with all my recordings)

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:28:59 UTC 2006

> You will need a variable soldier gun to fix it. The average run of the
> mill soldier gun does about 30 watts of power. This will melt everything
> around it and damage the board. You need about 15 watts I do believe.

It looks like a very easy fix. There are through holes matched up on
both ends of the cap. I would use a variable temp tool ( an iron, with
a fine tip ) and a blade or solder wick to melt and remove the solder
and pull the part off the board. Then, find a ~.01uf cap and solder it
with short wires to each of the through holes. put tape under it so it
doesn't short near components, and it should work fine.... If that IC
hasn't been damaged. The short wires to the holes will enable a quick
low heat solder and shouldn't damage nearby components.

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com