[mythtv-users] DVICo Fusion Gold - v4l?

Bill Suit bsuit at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 13 16:35:28 UTC 2006

Rather than hijack another recent thread, I've cut 'n' pasted the following:
From:
Michael Freeman <mlfreeman at gmail.com>
  To:
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
  Date:
Saturday 11:51:46 pm

1. i swore i read a spec pdf or something on the dvico site that claimed
hardware mpeg encoding, as well as something on the linuxtv website but i
dunno anymore
(and i don't care, since i just use it for ota hd, since none of the tuner
makers have the desire to pur a qpsk demod on their cards...so we can't lock
onto the digital cable information stream [if you hdhomerun guys are
listening, i don't need 4 qam tuners at home, but i'd sure as hell buy one
if it could provide the qpsk forward data channel to my linux box for me to
parse...so if it's not too late consider cramming a qpsk demod in there])

2. if it's a certified windows mce tuner, then it's supposed to do hw mpeg
encoding.  if it's not certified, then all bets are off. they claim support,
but they don't mention certification, so i dunno what to say about that.

On 2/11/06, Jason Gabriele <jason.gabriele at gmail.com> wrote:

> Where do you see that it has an onboard mpeg encoder? Looking at the specs
> and from my experience setting mine up, this board has no onboard mpeg
> encoder. You need to set it up using V4L. It mentions on the web site that
> it comes with an mpeg encoder but to my knowledge it is included with the
> windows driver. I am still not using the card because I could never get
> the
> analog video quality up to where my old wintv is.

I'm a day away from building my first HTPC. MythTV is part 'n' parcel. I
thought I'd made a wise decision by choosing the Fusion 5 gold + card as my
sole card. With the above exchange, I'm now wondering if I need, say, a
pvr250/350 also?

Should I even mess with the Fusion 5 card? I'm only going to be using OTA HD.

TIA,
Bill