[mythtv-users] Nasty shock with Comcast Chicago

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 05:40:10 UTC 2006

On 2/12/06, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Non-digital not really non-digital
>
> I don't know if anyone else has seen this, but it came as a nasty
> surprise to me.
>
> I signed up for Basic Extended service from Comcast Chicago (Zone NW
> 2&3). I told them on the phone several times while ordering that I was
> only interested in analog service, not digital, and that I had my own
> tuning devices and wouldn't need a converter.
>
> The tech came out to activate the line and the Comcast default channel
> (4) came up just fine going straight into my television. I didn't
> imagine there would be any problem since the analog channels would be
> open and I'd be able to tune them with my PVR-250 and/or television
> with integrated tuner.
>
> Only that didn't happen. Turns out it's a new thing with Comcast
> Chicago that only the Really Basic Channels are actually analog. The
> 'extended' channels (including all the ad-supported networks you
> watch) are actually digital, and you can't get them with your PVR
> cards without a converter box.
>
> The first call to Comcast after the installation got me a call-back
> from the tech, who explained that the extended channels were, in fact,
> digital even though I had asked for analog service. I wouldn't be able
> to get the channels without their converter. The one he left behind is
> the size of a briefcase and hums in B flat.
>
> The sticky part is that the 'extended' channels are not under the
> digital plans, and the work order the tech left behind called for a
> 'non-digital install'. I had asked for and been sold an analog package
> that was in fact digital. All the channels in question were 2 through
> around 90 or so. Analog bands.
>
> After maybe four calls to Comcast support, during three of which I
> made vague threats of calling the FCC and the Chicago Cable
> Commission, I finally got to speak to some actual managers. They
> couldn't give me a good answer why non-digital channels were actually
> digital other than that "the whole world's going digital".
>
> I complained that the whole reason why I had bought analog cable was
> so I could use my equipment to change the channels. Their converter
> box gave me no way other than the remote to set channels, etc. I
>
> They did, however, agree to give me one of their Motorola HD boxes
> with a serial port, firewire port and component outs for six months
> free (after it's $5/mo. I've got an HD set but no HD card; I do have a
> firewire card that I've never tried). They also agreed to refund the
> $50 they had charged for lighting the cable line, only there would be
> another install charge of $15 for the HD box.
>
> Not the best deal I know, but the Olympic Hockey starts on Wednesday
> and my wife will be extremely disapointed if I don't record all of
> Slovakia's games.
>
> Does anyone know if Comcast is actually allowed to do this? Can they
> sell a 'non-digital' service that is in fact digital, or to move the
> [...]

I feel quite lucky over here in good ol SLC, Utah.  I get 'extended
basic' all over an analog wire, split as much as I want, to as many
feeds as I want around my castle.  I am quite the cheapo though, and
moreso, I get all the channels I like on my limited basic service, so
I dropped the extended and the 20 bucks that came with it, and am now
down to 12 bucks a month.  All my HD is OTA, so I'm super stoked ;)

Oh yeah, I also get Cable Internet from Comcast, it too is through this wire.

Woohoo!!!

Chad